Current:Home > NewsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -WealthSphere Pro
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 09:37:43
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (55971)
Related
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- Amazon announces 'Fallout' TV series will premiere in 2024
- Angels’ Shohei Ohtani batting as designated hitter vs Mets after tearing elbow ligament
- Early Apple computer that helped launch $3T company sells at auction for $223,000
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- Sam Bankman-Fried’s lawyers renew claim that the FTX founder can’t prepare for trial behind bars
- Bradley Cooper, Brad Pitt and More Celebs Who Got Candid About Their Addictions and Sobriety Journeys
- Watch the touching moment this couple's cat returns home after going missing for 7 days
- Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
- One Direction's Liam Payne Hospitalized for Bad Kidney Infection
Ranking
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Walker Hayes confronts America's divisive ideals with a beer and a smile in 'Good With Me'
- 'Good Luck Charlie' star Mia Talerico is all grown up, celebrates first day of high school
- Virginia lawmakers say they have deal on ‘major components’ of budget, including rebates, tax cuts
- Angelina Jolie nearly fainted making Maria Callas movie: 'My body wasn’t strong enough'
- Best Buy scam alert! People are pretending to be members of the Geek Squad. How to spot it.
- 'Good Luck Charlie' star Mia Talerico is all grown up, celebrates first day of high school
- Russia’s Wagner mercenaries face uncertainty after the presumed death of its leader in a plane crash
Recommendation
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Early Apple computer that helped launch $3T company sells at auction for $223,000
'Good Luck Charlie' star Mia Talerico is all grown up, celebrates first day of high school
How Ariana Grande's Yours Truly Deluxe Edition Honors Late Ex-Boyfriend Mac Miller
What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
Bachelor in Paradise Season 9 Reveals First Look: Meet the Bachelor Nation Cast
Meet Jasmin Moghbeli, a Marine helicopter pilot and mom of twins who is leading a crew to the space station
'Not an easy thing to do': Authorities name 388 people still missing after Maui wildfires